Fans of the late singer Prince can add a new album to their collection, as the artist’s estate has released the first posthumous album entitled Prince 4Ever. The double CD, 40-track album spans the late musician’s greatest hits, such as: Little Red Covert, Purple Rain, Kiss. In addition to his chart-topping singles, the compilation includes the never released song, Moonbeam Levels. Recorded in 1982 while working on his 1999 album, the ballad captures Prince’s hypnotic vocals and features [now] eerie lyrics like, “Please send all your moonbeam levels to me.” With a new track spinning on the decks, attention naturally turns to his sartorial dynamism.
The legendary singer, who passed away earlier this year in April, was noted for his flamboyant style. With unmatched flair, the fashion chameleon’s go-to pieces included romantic Victorian ruffled blouses, embellished suits, bold colors (notably purple), velvet jackets, and head-to-toe sequined ensembles.
Looking to the Fall 2016 runway collections, Vogue Arabia highlights five fashion nods to Prince’s style.
1. More is more. Prince embodied a maximalist approach. Cue Alessandro Michele’s Gucci Fall 2016 collection that was fully loaded with elaborate suits like this sequined tuxedo jacket featuring fur trimmings and matching pants.
2. A ruffled shirt is always in style. High-collared shirts featuring an elaborate bow as seen at Burberry captures Prince’s Purple Rain style era.
3. Embrace bold colors. Some of Prince’s most memorable outfits were purple. This tiered, lace dress in amethyst from Elie Saab combines both his signature hue and love for lace.
4. Textured textiles add opulence to a wardrobe. Prince was never one to shy away from rich materials, while a slim-cut velvet suit in a deep color like burgundy evokes the rock and roll legend.
5. Statement pants are always a good idea. One of Prince’s memorable moments is jumping on stage wearing a pair of high-waist, fringed pants with matching arm cuffs. This Balmain design with ruffles snaking down the side is very dramatic.