What to do when you’re tired of sweatpants? Take a quick look at the Paris street-style set. From its permanent affiliation with the timeless beige trench coat to its devotion to a high-definition accessory, the fashion pack’s go-to looks in this strangest of seasons encapsulated the biggest trend of all: longevity.
Denim is always relevant on the street-style scene, whether editors, buyers and influencers are pulling out vintage jackets, revisiting flares (where Hedi Slimane at Celine goes, fashion-watchers inevitably follow) or experimenting with different crops and washes. After all, you can always rely on a trusty pair of jeans to get you through an “I have nothing to wear” day – now more than ever.
Scroll on for all the ways Vogue’s favorite street-stylers are wearing denim this season.
1. It’s official: stash your skinny jeans at the back of the wardrobe and get ready to embrace a wider-leg style for autumn.
2. No one pulls off white jeans quite as elegantly as Vogue Paris editor-in-chief Emmanuelle Alt. Note the gently distressed hem and classic jacket pairing.
3. When it comes to DMs, play it straight: pair chunky boots with gently flared trousers for a look that semaphores cool in any climate.
4. Patchwork is shaping up to be a major spring/summer 2021 trend. Why not go all out with a Canadian tuxedo tribute?
5. Nothing beats a Prada cropped denim jacket – for extra retro appeal, pair with heavy winged eyeliner.
6. Revel in the easy charm of a tried-and-tested silhouette: keeping things voluminous on top and a little slimmer on the leg.
7. Prepare for transitional temperatures with a trusty fringed jacket, otherwise known as the quickest way to update bright white jeans.
8. The runway’s favorite styling trick for fall? Cinching in wide-legged trousers with a pair of strappy sandals. We weren’t entirely convinced at first, but now we’re treating it as the trouser equivalent of a belted blazer – after all, it deals with the soggy hem issue in ten seconds flat.
9. A long-line blazer and a button-down paired with wide-legged white denim err on just the right side of preppy.
10. Crumpled styles are getting significantly less airtime this season: a crisp, pressed seam will add untold polish to your look.
11. Nostalgia-laden vintage jackets feel nonchalant when paired with fizzing accessories – hot tangerine will lift a laid-back outfit from regular to rarefied.
12. Make dark-rinse denim part of your off-duty formula – even with a youthful cropped top, it looks utterly sophisticated.
Originally published on Vogue.co.uk