With an Instagram following of 52.3 million, 35 international Vogue covers under her belt and a runway résumé of the most storied luxury fashion houses in the world (including Prada, Fendi and Chanel), it’s little surprise that Gigi Hadid is one of the most in-demand catwalk stars on the planet.
Since her runway debut at New York Fashion Week in 2014, Gigi’s career highlights have been fast and many, from tackling gatecrashing YouTuber Marie Benoliel at Chanel SS20 to oozing modern-day Hollywood at Tom Ford’s glittering Los Angeles show and being named International Model of the Year by the British Fashion Council. To celebrate her 25th birthday on the 23 April, we look back on 21 of her most iconic runway moments.
1. Gigi’s debut runway appearance for Spanish label Desigual when she was 18 saw her sporting a cinched, checked coat with her hair loosely framing her face.
2. Before Gigi designed a collection for Tommy Hilfiger, she walked the AstroTurf during Tommy Hilfiger’s 30th-anniversary sports-themed AW15 show in 2015 — wearing a raincoat emblazoned with an American football and black lace-up boots.
3. Styled head-to-toe in beige, Gigi starred in the AW15 Max Mara show, paying homage to Marilyn Monroe’s 1960s aesthetic. She made her entrance with a nude coat draped over her shoulders, kitted out in nude stockings, a slip dress and tasselled loafers.
4. Serving up full-on Hollywood glamour, Gigi walked the Moschino AW15 runway in an opulent graffiti fishtail gown that we would love to wear to, well, any and all lavish events.
5. Rich brown tones permeated the Balmain Army member’s runway outfit back in 2015, aligning perfectly with the muted palette she often opts for when off-duty.
6. Brimming with lush greenery, designer Karl Lagerfeld’s blossoming SS16 Haute Couture setting at the Grand Palais included Gigi sauntering down the runway in an intricately woven wood-chipped champagne dress.
7. Rihanna called in Gigi for 2016 Fenty x Puma at New York Fashion Week. The intimate show, with none other than Naomi Campbell on the front row, was a scaled-back monochromatic affair. Gigi’s look? A long hoodie-cum-dress.
8. Category is: high-octane Versace glamour. The house’s Atelier AW16 collection showed off plunging necklines and graphic cutouts, with Gigi sporting an elevated spin on the tuxedo. In December that year, she would wear a Versace metallic silver bodice and trouser suit to collect her award for Model of the Year at the British Fashion Awards.
9. How did Gigi get in character for her runway appearance at Moschino? Take one pixie crop wig, a pair of fishnet tights and a show-stopping feathered dress. She would take centre stage in the brand’s AW19 campaign inspired by legendary 1980s American soap opera Dynasty alongside model pals Irina Shayk and Joan Smalls.
10. File this one under catwalk bridal inspiration. Gigi’s matrimonial look at the Moschino SS19 show is the stuff of dreams.
11. Brandon Maxwell’s SS19 show saw Gigi accessorising the designer’s figure-hugging gown with a radiant, post-facial glow.
12. In a show that married British culture with the current political climate, Gigi debuted one of her edgiest runway looks yet at Riccardo Tisci’s AW19 Burberry show.
13.Another Moschino runway, another internet-breaking theme. Jeremy Scott paid homage to Pablo Picasso for SS20 with Gigi closing the show (alongside younger sister Bella, and model Kaia Gerber) in an avant-garde take on the classic bridal gown.
14. Gatecrashing YouTuber Marie Benoliel underestimated Gigi’s professionalism when she stormed Chanel’s SS20 runway. The star promptly marched her off the catwalk to stop her spoiling the show.
15. Chanel Haute Couture 2020 saw Gigi in a stripped-back monochromatic look, dictating a preppy hosiery-sock combination sure to blossom this autumn.
16. Marc Jacobs’s emotive AW20 show saw Gigi take to the catwalk in a quintessential uptown look (A-line coat, calf-skimming skirt and ruby-padded headband) and was joined on the runway by surprise guest star Miley Cyrus.
17. Gigi served ladylike glamour for Fendi’s AW20 show (note the braided bun and achingly chic plum lip).
18. Film noir heroine? All in a day’s work. Gigi strode Miu Miu’s patterned floor for AW20 in an empire-line beaded dress and gentle finger waves.
19. Marie Antoinette, eat your heart out. Gigi Hadid’s most recent Moschino show look brought the historic figure’s aesthetic to life for autumn 2020.
20. Paris Fashion Week AW20 wrapped with a soul-affirming display of female solidarity on Chanel’s runway. In boucle shorts emblazoned with crucifixes and pirate boots, the supermodel took a sisterly stroll, arm-in-arm, with Mona Tougaard and Hyunji Shin.
21. Gigi made an enthralling appearance on the Prada runway clad in an almost entirely slate grey uniform bar lilac open-toe strap heels at Miuccia Prada’s poignant AW20
Originally published on Vogue.com.au