Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s rep has released a statement to set the record straight after a report concerning King Charles’ 75th birthday invitation was published. According to the Sunday Times, Prince Harry had been invited to the celebration of the milestone birthday taking place on November 14 at Clarence House, but he turned it down.
“In response to UK media headlines, there has been no contact regarding an invitation to His Majesty’s upcoming birthday,” the spokesperson told The Messenger and People. “It is disappointing the Sunday Times has misreported this story.” Additionally, a source who is familiar with the situation also told The Messenger that the Palace had, in fact, “never reached out.”
Prince Harry and Meghan are currently based in California with their two children since they made the move in 2020. The ongoing rift between the couple and the royal family including King Charles III and Prince William and Kate Middleton, has deepened since Prince Harry published his tell-all memoir Spare. The last time Prince Harry was publicly in contact with his father, was when he traveled to the UK in May, for the King’s coronation. Meghan was absent from the occasion held on May 6, which also happens to be the birthday of their firstborn son, Archie.
In the 60 Minutes with Anderson Cooper interview to promote Spare, Prince Harry opened up about his relationship with his father, and whether he was in contact with him. “We aren’t— we haven’t spoken for quite a while,” he said. “The ball is very much in their court. But, you know, Meghan and I have continued to say that we will openly apologize for anything that we did wrong, but every time we ask that question, no one’s telling us the specifics or anything. There needs to be a constructive conversation, one that can happen in private that doesn’t get leaked.”