A big congratulations are in order for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. The couple, who have been dating since July 2016, are engaged. The news was confirmed by a statement by Clarence House via Twitter. “The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle.”
The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle. pic.twitter.com/zdaHR4mcY6
— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) November 27, 2017
Markle’s parents, Thomas Markle and Doria Ragland, wished the couple “a lifetime of happiness” via a separate statement on the Kensington Palace social account. A short statement from the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh shortly followed, saying the royal family are “delighted for the couple and wish them every happiness.” Other members of the royal family shared their excitement as well: “We are very excited for Harry and Meghan. It has been wonderful getting to know Meghan and to see how happy she and Harry are together,” Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, said in a statement.
Kensington Palace reveals the wedding will take place in spring 2018. “Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course.”
The news comes after days of speculation. Since the American actor left her role in hit television series Suits and moved in with Prince Harry in London, royal watchers have been keenly waiting for an official announcement of an engagement.
The couple met through friends last summer, and secretly dated for months before going public with their relationship. In November last year, Prince Harry released a statement in defense of Markle, simultaneously going public with their relationship.
Markle broke her silence on the relationship in an interview with Vanity Fair in September, in which she revealed that her and the prince are very much in love. “We’re a couple. We’re in love. I’m sure there will be a time when we will have to come forward and present ourselves and have stories to tell, but I hope what people will understand is that this is our time. This is for us,” she said.
The couple made their first public outing at the Invictus Games, which were created by the prince, in October 2017.
Now that the couple are finally engaged, we can’t help but speculate which designer Markle will enlist for her wedding dress. She could opt for a British talent such as Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen, like her soon-to-be sister-in-law, Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge. The idea is not so far-fetched, considering the two share similar sartorial sensibilities. The duchess wore Diane von Furstenberg’s floor-skimming black Zarita dress to the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families gala recently, which Markle had sported in 2012.
Or, she might take a completely different direction and choose something by a designer who she personally favors, such as Roland Mouret. The Suits star considers the French fashion designer a close friend, often sharing pictures of them together on Instagram and hitting the red carpet in his designs.
We will just have to wait and see.
Mabrouk to the couple!