Among all of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s projects since stepping down as senior royals, their Netflix docuseries has been the most anticipated. After a number of speculations over its future, a report from Page Six has revealed that the documentary is scheduled to drop on December 8.
A lot has affected the project’s release, mainly the backlash Netflix received following the most recent season of The Crown, which was believed to be the reason behind the documentary’s delay. Prince Harry and Meghan were also allegedly working to cut some parts out of the documentary due to “having second thoughts” following Queen Elizabeth II’s death in September.
Although the streaming giant is yet to reveal the title of the documentary, it is said to follow the couple in their new home and life in California since leaving the UK in early 2020. Speaking to The Cut this year, Meghan had said that the series will showcase “the piece of my life I haven’t been able to share, that people haven’t been able to see – our love story.” Its original director, Garrett Bradley, has also been reportedly replaced over creative differences, by Academy Award-nominated documentary filmmaker Liz Garbus.
The documentary is part of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s multi-million dollar deal with Netflix to develop documentary series, feature films, scripted shows, and children’s content. So far, the couple has shared first-hand accounts of their post-royal lives via the explosive interview with Oprah, while Meghan currently hosts a Spotify podcast named Archetypes seeking to break down harmful stereotypes and labels on women. As for Prince Harry, the father-of-two has revealed the name of his upcoming memoir, Spare, which is due to be published in January 2023.