Follow Vogue Arabia

‘We Know the Full Truth’: Explosive New Trailer for Harry and Meghan’s Netflix Docuseries Drops

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have released the second high-octane trailer for their upcoming Netflix docuseries, Harry & Meghan, which premieres on the streaming service on Thursday.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Netflix US (@netflix)

Unveiled by the streaming giant on December 5, the clip intercuts new interview footage and voiceovers from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with archive footage and news reports. It charts the early stages of the duchess’s introduction to royal life, with a news reader dubbing her a ‘royal rockstar’, as crowds shout ‘Meghan, we love you!’ before the duke and duchess add: ‘And then…’ ‘everything changed.’

The trailer, which contains a number of shots of the Royal Family, includes some significant allegations from Harry. He says that there’s ‘a hierarchy of the family’ and talks of the ‘leaking’ and ‘planting of stories’ in the press. Other figures appear talking of ‘a war’ on Meghan and raising issues of ‘hatred’ and ‘race’.

The prince dubs it ‘a dirty game’ and a ‘feeding frenzy’, harking back to ‘the pain and suffering of women marrying into this institution’ with reference to his mother, the late Diana, Princess of Wales, who is shown being hounded by the paparazzi in archive footage. Meghan is caught on camera reduced to tears, while the duchess speaks of her realization that ‘they’re never going to protect you’, to which Harry adds: ‘I was terrified. I didn’t want history to repeat itself.’

The climactic end comes amid the flashes of paparazzi cameras and dramatic music, before Harry concludes: ‘No one knows the full truth. We know the full truth.’ The latest trailer also reveals that the docuseries will be unveiled in two instalments, with Volume I debuting on 8 December, before Volume II drops on December 15.

Photo: Getty

The first trailer landed last week, promising viewers an intimate look at ‘what goes on behind closed doors’. The minute-long preview features never-before-seen photos from the couple’s private collection, as well as glimpses of the interviews they give on camera, including a dramatic moment where Prince Harry says, ‘I had to do everything I could to protect my family’.

The long-anticipated programme comes after the Prince and Princess of Wales paid their first visit to the US in eight years last week, a three-day trip to Boston for William’s Earthshot Prize Awards ceremony. It also comes after royal aide Lady Susan Hussey stepped down from her honorary role in the household amid a race row over ‘unacceptable’ comments made to a Black charity campaigner at a Buckingham Palace reception hosted by the Queen Consort.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Netflix US (@netflix)

The trailer, which first aired last week, opens with a producer asking, ‘Why do you want to make this documentary?’ before a slideshow of photos documenting Harry and Meghan’s relationship flashes up, as well as a photo of the Prince and Princess of Wales taken at the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey in 2018. King Charles III and the Queen Consort are also pictured.

Prince Harry says, ‘no one sees what goes on behind closed doors’, before a black and white photo of Meghan looking distressed on the phone flashes up. The duchess adds: ‘When the stakes are this high, doesn’t it make sense to hear our story from us?’

Photo: Getty

Page Six recently reported that the couple parted ways with the show’s original director, Garrett Bradley, over differing opinions, with a source dubbed an ‘industry insider’ telling the outlet: ‘There were a few sticky moments between them, and Garrett left the project.’ They instead turned to Liz Garbus to helm the series, who has previously worked on hits including The Handmaid’s Tale.

The duke and duchess, who signed a deal with Netflix in 2020, have been collaborating with the streamer on the upcoming series for over a year. Reports emerged in May that the pair had welcomed cameras into their Californian home to film the series, although it is still unknown whether their children, Archie, three, and Lilibet, one, will feature.

The first trailer debuted in the midst of the Prince and Princess of Wales’s visit to the US, during which the couple met US President Joe Biden and Ambassador Caroline Kennedy and spent time shining a light on issues close to their hearts. The Princess of Wales flew the flag for British fashion in pieces from Burberry, Mulberry and Alexander McQueen, before donning a rented Solace London gown and a choker that formerly belonged to the late Diana, Princess of Wales for the Earthshot Prize ceremony.

Originally published in Tatler.com

Suggestions
Articles
View All
Vogue Collection
Topics