News of the next royal baby was announced just hours after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex touched down in Australia. And now, the parents-to-be have been opening up about their impending arrival as they embark on their 16-day official tour of the Southern Hemisphere. Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, who this week revealed they are expecting their first child next spring, have confirmed they are very excited to become parents.
“We’re ready! We’re excited to join the club.” Meghan told YouTube star Eddie Woo and his wife Michelle during a reception at Admiral House in Sydney on Tuesday. During the event, Prince Harry told attendees the couple was thrilled to reveal the happy news Down Under. “We genuinely couldn’t think of a better place to announce the upcoming baby, whether it’s a boy or a girl,” said the royal, according to The Telegraph. “It is great to be back in Australia, and especially even more so as this is my wife’s first visit here, so I’m very excited to show her this incredible country of yours.”
The journey to the other side of the globe, however, has left the duchess “tired”, she admitted during the couple’s visit to the city of Dubbo, on the second day of their itinerary. Meghan told attendees that she was “running on adrenaline”, according to the Daily Mail, though the former actor was full of smiles as she met local schoolchildren during the visit. The duke and duchess were greeted by much-welcomed rain in the drought-stricken region, with many heralding the royal couple for bringing the celebrated weather with them. That wasn’t all they brought either, with Meghan personally baking banana bread for an afternoon tea.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex still have two weeks ahead of them on the 16-day visit, their first official major overseas tour. Featuring a whopping 76 engagements on the itinerary, their schedule is designed to “focus on youth leadership, and projects being undertaken by young people to address the social, economic, and environmental challenges of the region”. The couple will also attend the Invictus Games, which are this year held in Sydney. The tournament, first launched by HRH The Duke of Sussex in 2014, brings together wounded, injured and ill servicemen and women from around the world to compete in 11 sports. This year’s Games will be held in from October 20 to 27; last year’s tournament was held in Toronto, where Prince Harry and the-then Meghan Markle made their first public appearance, just months before their engagement was announced.