Spending a cozy night in or hosting a dinner party for your friends? Your home wouldn’t be complete without burning a candle. Or a few for the matter. The experience is not simply about striking a match or rummaging through a drawer for a lighter. It begins with discovering the right scent for you, then caring for the candle pre and post-burning. Legendary French perfumer Diptyque shares its top tips to ensure you make the most of your investment.
1. The first time you light your candle, make sure to burn it for at least three hours until the whole top is liquid with wax. This is to “prime” the wax and ensure optimal use of the candle.
2. Choose a candle, then another. Have fun pairing them and instantly reveal a world of scents, reinvented with each new combination. Opt for candles with a natural olfactive expression to combine effortlessly.
3. Invest in a candle snuffer to extinguish a flame. It means you don’t have to worry about hot wax going everywhere.
4. After blowing out your candle, be sure to re-center and straighten the wick.
5. Before lighting your candle again, it is important to shorten the wick to approximately ½ inch. This will give a smaller flame and avoid the formation of black smoke which could leave unsightly marks around the edge of the glass.