Building our emotional intelligence is essential for understanding why we do and feel the way we do. Having the ability to understand your emotions allows you to identify and leverage your strengths, to work on your weaknesses and to live in line with your values, resulting in leading a happier, healthier and more fulfilled life. Our emotional intelligence helps us recognise what drives us to achieve our goals and the impact it has on our day-to-day behaviour, an essential insight to be able to succeed.
One exercise you can start today to begin building your emotional intelligence is to journal. Self-reflection journalling is what enables us to get to know ourselves more. By writing down how you feel, what you think and what you would change is the first stepping stone to understanding your emotions at a deeper level.
Use these seven journalling prompts to help you start building your emotional intelligence this week.
Grab yourself a journal and pen, set aside 10-15 minutes of time by yourself and pick one of the prompts to get started, continue each day for the next seven days:
1. What makes you happiest and how do we get more of that this month?
2. For your life to be the way you want it to be, what is the number one focus for you?
3. How did you work towards achieving your goals today?
4. How do you love to start your day? What positive impact does this make to your happiness?
5. What do you want to start that will boost you to the next level in your career? lifestyle? health? happiness?
6. Who is your role model (or who is doing what you aspire to be) and why? How can you spend more time with them?
7. When and where were you most uncomfortable in the last 7 days? What positive impact did it make on you and your life?
Integrative health coach Heidi Jones supports and guides her clients to build their emotional intelligence to support positive lifestyle change. For more exercises, to build your coaching toolkit and support in achieving your goals, overcoming a challenge and creating a positive change in your life visit www.heidijonescoaching.com and follow @heidi_jones_coaching