Yesterday clients, editors, and fashion icons gathered in Havana, Cuba to take their park bench seats that lined the Paseo el Prado promenade to watch the Chanel Resort 2017 collection show unfold. Colorful, colonial style buildings served as the backdrop for Karl Lagerfeld’s Cuban-infused collection that featured cigar smoking models on the catwalk, classic car print motifs, crocheted accessories, and a street party conga line to wrap up the far-flung spectacle. From chauffeured vintage vehicles, to culture saturated tours, and A-list attendees, we round up 10 highlights from the Chanel Resort 2017 show in Havana, Cuba.
1. Ahead of the catwalk extravaganza show-goers were treated to a cultural tour of the Cuban capital and visited notable landmarks such the home of Ernest Hemingway.
2. Simultaneously taking place was Karl Lagerfeld’s exhibition “Obra en Proceso/Work in Progress” at the Factoría Habana, which featured a display of the creative director’s personal collection of photographs that focused on fashion, architecture, and landscapes.
3. On the day of the show, a rainbow fleet of convertible classic American cars served as transportation to the fashion show’s open-air venue.
4. The Chanel show opened with a black and white palette featuring tailored suits and organza dresses that eased into an explosion of vivid colors across embellished silhouettes, tweed suits, and classic car motif separates and dresses that nod to the Cuban inspiration.
6. A-listers in attendance included actress Tilda Swinton, actor Vin Diesel, model Gisele Bündchen, while actress and Chanel ambassadress Vanessa Paradis was spotted sitting front row of the festive fashion show.
7. Hats were in abundance ranging from straw fedoras to embellished berets.
8. For the finale, a parade of models alongside musicians poured onto the 160-meter long private runway for a conga street party celebration.
10. Following the catwalk show, guests were ushered into the beach house-themed Plaza de la Catedral, to tango the night way.