While stocking up on abayas, it’s important that you treat your new overlays with special care in order to maintain their quality, color, and elongate their closet lifespan. To avoid wearing them out or damaging them to the point of no return, follow the essential guide below and keep your abayas in tip-top shape.
1. The first thing you need to do is read the label and find out if you should take your abaya to the dry cleaner or if you can care for it at home. The label will also indicate the fabric composition; some abaya materials are a blend of natural and synthetic fibers, which is an important factor to consider when caring for an abaya. For example, if there is silk in the mix, then that overlay needs to go to the dry cleaners without a second thought.
2. For everyday abayas made from crepe, hand wash them separately in cold water using delicate detergents that won’t wear down the material. For dark colored abayas, look for specialty detergents, such as the Persil Abaya Shampoo, to prevent the color from fading.
3. For the drying process, skip the machine dryer and let your abaya air dry. Tossing your abaya into the dryer will expose it to extreme heat, which will cause the fabric to shrink and the colors to dull.
4. Be extra careful while pressing out creases. Put your iron or steamer on the lowest heat setting and always make sure you’re ironing out wrinkles while your abaya is inside out.
5. Store your abayas neatly in your closet and out of direct sunlight to prevent the colors from fading.
6. Never hang your abaya or any article of clothing on wire hangers as that could ruin the shoulder shape. We recommend using velvet or felt hangers so that your overlay stays in place and doesn’t drop to the bottom of the closet.
7. When shopping for an abaya, make sure the length is not too long so that it doesn’t drag on the ground. Sweeping up dust with your abaya is never glamorous.